Friday, February 1, 2019

Current 93 -The Light Is Leaving Us All (The Spheres)




"And in the First Book

And in the Last Book
And in all the Books InBetween
And between the books and the words
There is something at war with nothing
There is someone at war with no-one
And everything at war with you
Your left eye is at war
With your right eye
And your lips are at war
With your tongue
And the jaw is flaming
And just over beyond the Hill
The birds sing so sweetly
And through the flames they see 
That The Light Is Leaving Them All"  - Current 93 - "30 RED Houses"


"And The Light Is Leaving Us All
On Long Lane where we fall
Into the CauseWay
I heard the Stars split open
By the post–by the Moon
By the chapel–call the surgeon
The surgeon is dead
Call the PoliceMan
The PoliceMan is dead
And the Moon is drunk
And the NightNurse is sick
And the murderer's dead
The assembly is killing time
And the clock has slowed to sugar
By the way–have you heard?
The Light Is Leaving Us All" - Current 93 - "Policeman is Dead"




David Tibet, with his project Current 93, literaly gives us his heart,soul, nightmares, and fear, with his hand, he is just giving us as a present, as a gift. And when I recived this gifts (almost all Current 93 releases I own) i find this gift so heavy. It is not the burden, it is just so heavy... so heavy to even review, to express myself and my emotions. But as he was so grateful and honest, this is the most hard review I want to write, but I will do it. I guess he want to see me brave and hard-working, and to know that Light Is Leaving Us All.








Current 93 is musical project of David Tibet (with little help from Nurse With Wound's Steven Stampleton). Current 93 belongs to that part of English post-Throbbing Gristle scene, same scene from which will came cult projects as Coil, Nurse With Wound, Death In June, Sol Invictus, etc...

Current 93 with above mentioned friends.
    

I know you can't pin-point any of these bands, but their interest was influenced by psychology, occultism, magic, astrological occurrances, history of mostly Brittish forgotten traditions, runes, hinduism and buddhism, sociology, anthopology, obscure artists and arcane knowledges. 


Current 93 was on forefront of British neo-folk movement, but 
Current  93 couldn't simply put in the "neo-folk scene." Same goes for, above mentioned, Nurse With Wound, Coil, Psychich TV, Death In June, but instead they all create their own little scenes and art spaces, and connection with alternative and independt scene and artists, mostly squat scenes all over Europe, kraut-kosmische ex-band members, uncommon painters and writers. Also you may find some releases of these groups very, very hard to find or with hefty price tag, because of their experimental modus operandi, constant changes of band members, unfinished projects, and most important thing - their own releases, paid by and sold by the artists themselfs - without any need and desires to be in mediocre and mainstream labels and thiefery distributions. So they practise DIY (today so much used acronym), and some of them even toured all year just to eat and have shelters.

I said
Tibet along with Steve Stapleton from Nurse With Wound (who produced and musically helped Tibet to achieve his visions -  and only consist member of C93, with Tibet) is interested in so much/many things and easily inspired by many, but mostly exotic, and rare artists and art techniques - that most of them are too rare, obscure and "far-away" for us "mere mortals" and "consumers" of the Art (with capitol A).
I can say he is a man who was introduced to it by early age, and spent his time with people who had similar interests into rare books, paintings, etc, so even interest in
The Light That Leaving Us All. 


Noddy with bunch of Noddies


For a long time because his lyrics and his involment with TOPS (Temple ov Psychic Youth - trivia: David Michael Bunting was named by Genesis P. Orridge as David Tibet, name he still use, as we know): he was called satanist and black magic occultist, something which he always carried with his name and projects, but even his interests in buddhism or pre-Romans Brittain religions, hinduism, 
Crowley, runes, and of course Noddy he always said in his interviews that he is a christian. By the way have you heard... that Light Leave Us All.






For those who want to go deeper into his discography, there are plenty of releases, that will satisfy your need for knowledge, and if you like I would recommend classics such as:
Nature Unvield, Earth Covers Earth, Christ and Pale Queens Mighty In Sorrow, All The Pretty Little Horses, Of Ruins or Some Blazing Stare, and absolute classic Thunder Perfect Mind. Music where you can hear neo-folk in combination with psychedelic and experimental and post-industrial music, while he sings his beautyful poems, (my mind) creates images of woods, forgotten grave stone, birds, and bright light of Sun. His singing also has that power to make every word count. When we would start to talk about his poetry... well some people could make thesis in English, anthropologie, history, or religion, by just listening his poetry or write on how Light is Leaving Us All.

   
Cover of Thunder Perfect Mind

      
Someone called this new album as a "...deeply hallucinatory, eschatology fairy tale, that villagers will see only one in their time. Everybody, even I with all of colleagues 'reviwers' can agree that this piece of apocalyptic neo-folk/pop is one those albums that have powerfull magic, a real art that demand your time and effort to really appreciate it, and to decode it to enjoy it with use of your senses and mind and to see the way the Light Leave Us All.

                   



Here is whole album on bandcamp. enjoy and remember That Light Is Leaving Us All!!

9 comments:

  1. I don't know if it's just me or if everyone else experiencing problems with your blog.
    It looks like some of the text on your content are running
    off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know
    if this is happening to them too? This might be a issue with my
    browser because I've had this happen previously. Appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that what you wrote made a bunch of sense.
    However, think on this, suppose you typed a catchier title?
    I mean, I don't wish to tell you how to run your blog, however suppose you added a title to possibly grab a person's
    attention? I mean "Current 93 -The Light Is Leaving Us All (The Spheres)" is a
    little boring. You could look at Yahoo's home page
    and note how they write article headlines to grab viewers
    to open the links. You might add a related video or
    a related picture or two to get people excited about everything've written. Just my opinion, it
    could make your posts a little bit more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for your comments, and I think they are all costructive.
      The reason why I hold names of releases as a title, is that thosereleases are the real "stars", I could do it, and I will think how to change that. Also thaat thing about naming the titles was in my mind since beginning of the blog - but at the beginnings of the blog, Iwas writting on serbian/croat, and then I decide to completly switch on enlish leanguage, cause - it would be much easier for rest of the World to read.

      Again thank you for that idea about title changes, so they cold somehow already prepare readers for what will be subject, or should I do word play.

      Thanks again.

      Damir

      Delete
  3. Estaba buscando esta averiguacion hace mucho años en internet
    y no la encontraba. Estoy de pacto con lo que indicas. Gracias es un gran aportación. Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning story there. What occurred after? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should wait for next album or somekind of project to see where the story continue.

      Thank You for your comment, it means A LOT to me.

      Damir

      Delete
  5. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this post plus the rest of the site is
    really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your method of explaining all in this article is truly pleasant, every one be able to without difficulty understand
    it, Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but personally, I think quit contrary: I think that sometimes I confuse my readers, anm y writing skills are not so good, that I can't really give the right and understandablereview.
      My writing of review, is so violent, let me say, no preparatins, cause i sit, I put album and start to write, and keep writing until I feeling, that "fire inside" has brned out... and then I go and check my text twices or three times, or even give to someone else to read for me. but the process is simple: while fire burning, keep pushing those buttons until the fire stop burning. So then after firts reading I find gramatical and all other textuall, gramatic and language "mistakes".

      Thanks for mention it out, and I really hope that is true. 8-)

      Damir

      Delete